NanoKnife® is the first surgical ablation system based on Irreversible Electroporation Technology.
Irreversible Electroporation (IRE) is a non-thermal, ablation technology designed for precise and effective surgical ablation of soft tissue and represents the next generation in focal ablative therapy. The NanoKnife IRE System enables physicians to treat otherwise difficult to treat parts of the body, near critical structures like vessels and ducts, thereby expanding the physicians’ treatment options especially for patients who are not candidates for surgery due to the location which requires treatment.
- High voltage pulses permanently open pores in target cell membranes
- Eliminates heat sink issues
- Ablate at or near vital structures (e.g., blood vessels, bile ducts, other tissues containing collagen/elastin)
- Potential to spare critical structures - vasculature and ducts remain intact
- Ablated tissue removed by the body’s natural processes within weeks - mimics natural cell death
- Allows real-time CT/US imaging of ablated zones
- Minimal to no post-procedural pain compared to other traditional modalities