Metabolic Disease and Sarcopenia Management - Amino-Ther®
Good nutrition is a crucial part of leading a healthy life. As we grow or encounter illness or injury, our nutritional requirements can change. Without a balanced diet, nutritional deficiencies can lead to a variety of health problems including lowered immunity, longer recovery from illness, digestion problems and sarcopenia (defined as the progressive loss of muscle mass and increase in the risk of injury and disability). This can be particularly prevalent in older adults and patients who are unwell.
Amino-Ther and Amino-Ther PRO are Foods for Special Medical Purposes (FSMP), which contain a patent pending1 nutritional blend, made up of a unique cluster of Essential Amino Acids (EAAs) and three organic acid intermediates of the Krebs cycle: malic acid, succinic acid and citric acid, that are crucial for protein synthesis. As the human body is unable to synthesise EAAs, they must be sourced from diet2. Unlike protein supplements, which must be metabolised, EAAs are rapidly absorbed without affecting appetite, making them an easier option for protein synthesis.
- Contains amino acids, succinic acid, malic acid, citric acid and vitamins B1 and B6
- Both Amino-Ther and Amino-Ther PRO can be given orally. Amino-Ther PRO can also be administered enterally
- Easy to prepare
- Rapidly absorbed for immediate release and action
- Doesn't affect satiety
- Mild tropical taste for Amino-Ther and citrus flavour for Amino-Ther PRO
Benefits of Essential Amino Acids Supplementation
- Assist with the prevention and management of sarcopenia3
- Assist with protein malnutrition in sarcopenia and frailty3
- Aid in long-term dietary supplementation and management
Certain population groups such as the elderly may have different nutritional requirements. To overcome nutritional deficiencies, a randomised study conducted by Buondonno et al., concluded that EAA supplementation can result in a number of improvements in nutritional status, immune cell efficiency, cognitive performance and general health.4
Amino-Ther’s precise stoichiometric ratio of amino acids and three organic acids is able to act as a mitochondrial metabolism modulator, enhancing mitochondrial energy production and aiding protein metabolism2.
- Improves skeletal muscle protein metabolism
- Counteracts muscle mass loss
- Increases the synthesis of plasma proteins
- Contributes to the maintenance and function of immune cells
1. International patent request PCT/IB2018/055425
2. Wilson D.C., Am. J. Nutr., 2000
3. Fujita S., Volpi E., Journal of Nutrition, 2006;136(1): 277S - 280S
4. Buondonno I., et al., Clin Nutr., 2020;39(7): 2080-2091